Endogenous Cushing’s Syndrome
Based on recent publications, we estimate that 65,000 patients in the US and EU are currently diagnosed with endogenous Cushing’s syndrome, a rare endocrine disorder characterized by sustained elevated cortisol levels.1
Clinical Development in Endogenous Cushing’s Syndrome
COR-003 (levoketoconazole) is an investigational cortisol synthesis inhibitor being evaluated in SONICS, a phase 3 clinical trial for endogenous Cushing’s syndrome.
The safety and efficacy of COR-003 for treatment of endogenous Cushing’s syndrome have not been established.
Educational Segment in Endogenous Cushing’s Syndrome
Strongbridge Biopharma sponsored an educational segment about endogenous Cushing’s syndrome on The Balancing Act “Behind the Mystery: Rare and Genetic Diseases.” The segment features Leslie Edwin, a patient with endogenous Cushing’s syndrome and Director of Support Groups for Cushing’s Support & Research Foundation, and Maria Fleseriu, MD, Professor/Director at the Pituitary Center at Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU). A broad range of topics related to Cushing’s syndrome are addressed within the segment, including symptoms, misdiagnosis, the importance of seeing an endocrinologist, screening methods, treatment options, and research efforts that are underway.
- Company-sponsored research and published research including Feelders RA, Hofland LJ. (J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98(2):425-438) and Daly AK et al. (J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006).
- CSRF fact sheet. Cushing’s Support & Research Foundation website. http://csrf.net/understanding-cushings/fact-sheet/. Accessed December 3, 2015.
- Nieman LK, Biller BMK, Findling MHM, et al. Treatment of Cushing’s syndrome: an Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015;100(8):2807-2831.
- Pereira AM, Tiemensma J, Romijn JA. Neuropsychiatric disorders in Cushing’s syndrome. Neuroendocrinology. 2010;92(suppl 1):65-70.
- Cushing’s disease. University of Virginia Health System: Neurosciences website. http://neurosciences.uvahealth.com/services/pituitary-tumors/conditions-treatments/cushings-disease. Accessed December 3, 2015.
- Greenman Y. Management of dyslipidemia in Cushing’s syndrome. Neuroendocrinology. 2010;92(suppl 1):91-95.
- Cushing’s syndrome. NIH Publication No. 08-3007. July 2008. National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases website. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/endocrine/cushings-syndrome/Documents/Cushings_Syndrome_508.pdf. Accessed December 3, 2015.
- Bolanowski M, Halupczok J, Jawiarczyk-Przybylowska A. Pituitary disorders and osteoporosis. Int J Endocrinol. 2015:206853. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/206853. Accessed December 3, 2015.